Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My Social Media Journey

My Social Media journey this far

by Ana Murphy Social Media student and IT professional
  1. Background 
    This Storify describes my experience during class COMI 650 which is part of my Masters in Integrate Marketing Communications at Marist. 

    I will be sharing my overall experience with Social Media tools as well as how I used Blogger, Twitter and Pinterest to bust my brand new blog:  http://anamurphycomi610.blogspot.com

  2. Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 11.39.05 AM
  3. Introduction 
    I confess that I was very nervous about creating a blog and also not having enough followers to keep an interesting discussion flowing. I was also concerned that I was not familiar enough with some of Social Media tools such as Twitter and Pinterest.
    My classmates have been very accommodating and have helped me by posting comments and by asking great questions. I have also been trying to post as many comments as possible on my classmates blogs to support them.  We have learned that  Social Media tools are here to help improve two way communication.  According to Qualman: 

                       Social media is global in nature; one of the biggest benefits is enabling users to stay connected with friends and family who are geographically separated. This global connectivity extends to positive and negative messages. (Qualman, 2013, p. 2) 

    My strategy with my Social Media tools was simple.  To post interesting and honest content and to try to personalize it as much as possible so people learned a little bit more about who I was. My goal was to reach about 10 followers per week and also generate over 10 comments per post. 

    Plans & Policies 
    To help set the tone for my blog I posted the following site policy: Site Policy  The site policy ensures users are aware that I have to rights to remove any content I deem inappropriate. I kept my blog public so I wanted to make sure the content was following set guidelines. 
  4. My plan was to use as many Social Media tools as possible to help boost the page views and also the amount of comments to my blog. The primary tools used were Blogger,  Twitter and Pinterest. The secondary tools used were Google Plus and Facebook. 

    Activities
          Blogger
    I started my blog with an introduction so users could get to know me a little bit better. I shared my professional background to help establish where my expertise's are. I used as many personal touches as possible to help differentiate my blog.

    Every weekly blog included an example from my experience and even a personal picture when appropriate. 
    Below is a picture of me "spying" on my neighboor to help illustrate the article from Qualman: I care more about what my neighboor thinks than what Google thinks. 
  5. I also used interesting videos, links and pictures to help bring the blog to life. I invited all of the classmates in my groups to help author my blog so they could easily find it in their Blogger.

    I also made it easier for all users to subscribe to my blog by adding a subscribe widget to it. Every blog was published with the support of Twitter, Pinterest and a Facebook post. 

       Twitter
    I used Twitter to communicate to my classmates when a new post was available and then once more during the week to ask for their comments. I avoided overloading my classmates with too many messages. 
  6. I used key words and group Twitters to ask for comments. 
  7. Pinterest
    Pinterest was used on a regular basis to find important social media content as well as to share information from my research and to share my blog. I observed that Pinterest helped increase the traffic to my blog. 
  8. Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 12.21.52 PM
  9.   Analysis
    I measured the success of my blog by the number of page views and comments. Based on these criteria I met the overall objective to reach at least 10 page views and 10 comments per post. I also targeted to increase the number of interactions by 5% per week. 
     My last post reached 83 views and 17 comments  and the previous one reached 45 views and 12 Comments. 
  10. Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 12.50.55 PM
  11. I observed that the number of page views increased every time I used a tool to help advertise my blog. 
  12. Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 12.57.45 PM
  13. The following tools regenerated the most page views based on the analysis: 
    Twitter, followed by Facebook, Google Plus and Pinterest. 
    Audience: 
    It does not surprise me that 100% of my audience was in the US. 

    Conclusion
    While working with my blog I understood the practical reasons for metrics. While monitoring the page views during the week I would take action to help boost comments when I noticed page views were weak. When businesses invest in Social Media, they need to spend as much time and energy on monitoring their posts to ensure they are reaching their return on investment. Many businesses fail to change their online strategy because they are not monitoring success on a regular basis. 

    The integration of Twitter, Pinterest and Blogger helped me reach the overall goals of my blog. I posted comments at different times of the day using different tools to help boost page views and that proved to work. 

    I could have improved the Social Media interaction by using Google Plus and also by using Facebook more frequently. I noticed that a large number of users accessed my blog from Facebook yet I only posted one comment a week on it. 

    As for the fear of using Social Media tools, that is no longer an issue. I learned from Qualman that we all have unique access to something or to someone: leverage yours. (Qualman, 2013, p.225)

    Thank You
    Thank You so much to  everyone who  took the time to read and to comment on my blog posts. You have really helped me overcome the fear of blogging! 

  14. Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 11.38.33 AM
  15. Let's continue our learning journey together!!!!! Thank You!

    Reference
    Qualman, E. (2013). Socialnomics: How social media transforms the way we live and do business, 2nd edition. Hoboken, N.J: John Wiley & Sons.

17 comments:

  1. Hey there Ana,

    I want to start by saying that I really enjoyed reading your Storify paper. You seemed to add a personal touch to everything you did--from creation to promotion. It is important to put a piece of yourself in your work.

    My questions/critiques for you are:

    - Did you reach your goal of 10 followers a week? (Mentioned in your introduction section)

    - How could you have improved in your social media presence if you were to continue with your blog? Meaning, what would be the initial steps you would take to expand your network?

    - Talk more about your audience. Who are they? What do you think they are interested in?

    - Understanding your blog was viewed "100% in the US" how could you (in the future) draw in more viewers on a global scale?

    Overall, I think you did a great job. You can see your heart in your work and how you have improved as a social communicator.

    As always if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhiana,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to review my Storify and provide me with some great feedback. You brought up some valuable points. I agree with them all and will look to incorporate them into my final paper.

      Thank You again!
      Ana

      Delete
  2. Ana,
    I second the critiques made by Rhiana. Your base content is clear, but dig a little deeper in a few areas.

    Target audiences are key in your messaging on the various social media platforms. Speak to your audience more and who they are and why you chose them. You seem to be happy with your 100% US participation, but do you want to explain to a global audience? Explain why or why not.

    I would also work on the formatting of your layout and sections and subheadings. You have a few formatting issues that won't take you long to adjust. Some of it is spacing and paragraph formatting. You should fix your first Qualman quote to follow APA as well.

    I hope these help. Overall you had a very successful draft of your paper. I look forward to reading your final paper. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca,

      I am glad that you brought up that I need to dig a little deeper. I noticed that when I started reading everyone else's paper. People have a lot more details than I do in many areas so I was not sure if I needed to do the same. So I appreciate that you mentioned it. Thank You also for calling my attention to APA. I tend to slack on that specially with the blog so that is something I will have to pain more attention to.

      Thank You so much for taking the time to help me with my Storify. Really appreciate your feedback.
      Ana

      Delete
  3. Ana,

    Great job on your post! I have a few comments that might help as you solidify your blog post for this week. Our text spoke about buyer personas and the importance of understanding our target audiences. I did not see that defined in your paper but this is an important part of creating engaging content.

    I also didn't hear how this class will benefit you professionally. What are your goals in utilizing the content of this course in your professional career? How have you grown professionally by the content provided in this course?

    Lastly, is there something you would have done differently starting the class over again? What areas of the course were hardest for you to grasp?

    Thanks again for your comments, dialogue and interaction during this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Isaac,

      Thank You so much for taking the time to ready my Storify and also for providing great feedback that can help me improve the work. I will add more focus to my target audience which I agree with you was completely missing from my paper.

      Thank You also for helping me with the content. I can definitely add that I am looking to provide consulting services to small business when I graduate to reuse the knowledge I gained from this class. This class helped me manage my social media tools more efficiently so I need to mention that too.

      Thank You so much! This is very helpful.
      Ana

      Delete
  4. Ana,

    Great start! I would suggest not breaking out your Twitter, Blogger and Pinterest activity as separate initiatives, but piece them together from a timeline perspective to really highlight your IMC efforts.

    In addition to Rhiana's suggestions, I agree more elaboration on your activities will strengthen this Storify. Once you do that, you will be able to expand on your analysis.

    I hope this helped!

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ana,

    I think it is important, as Brianna had mentioned, to piece together your social media initiatives. This could allow your reader to see how you have integrated your messages across all platforms and in doing so provided your audience with consistency.

    So far you are doing a great job! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds Great Ladies! I will follow your suggestions. I agree that that will help the paper flow better.
      Thank You!
      Ana

      Delete
  6. Hey Ana,
    Thank you for posting your storify for all of us to read. Your layout is easy to read and the layout is user friendly. I agree with some of the earlier comments in the recommendations they have given to help you improve your storify. The points are as follows:-

    1. Please define your audience more. Try to define them and expand on your blog internationally as all your page views are currently domestic
    2. Please fix the formatting of your blog as referenced earlier.
    Overall I liked how you promoted your social media platforms. I loved how you personally branded yourself across all your social media platforms. I think this presented a unique experience.

    Thanks,
    Saurav

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saurav,
    Thank You so much for you feedback! I really appreciated it!
    Ana Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ana,

    I like the way you have set up your storify paper, breaking down the activity you have throughout the class by social media platforms vs. what our blog posts were for the week. I agree with Brianna that you should add more information into these sections to provide more specific examples of what you did throughout the course.

    Overall great start,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Courtney! Really appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
  9. Hi Ana,

    As I was re-reading your Storify, the link in your introduction to IMC at Marist is missing the 'd' in Integrated. Just something that happened to catch my eye!

    Were you able to add in some of your feedback to a new draft of your Storify? When you do let me know, I would love to take a look!

    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You so much Bri! Great catch! I have not made the changes yet but I definitely will. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ana,

    Good to see I was not the only one who was unfamiliar with Twitter and Pinterest. I have never used either of these two sites before this class. I am glad that everyone was very easy to interact with on these sites. You mentioned that you used several sites in order to promote your blog. How did you feel each site performed and would you have wanted to use any different sites to promote your blog?

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ian,
    Thank You for stopping by.
    In addition to Twitter and Pinterest, I used Facebook and Google Plus and I did notice that the performance of the blog went up after each post. So they did work. I was concerned with overdoing on the tools as we were all getting lots and lots of notices that people were updating their blogs.

    Best Regards,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete